Making internal changes to your unit


A personal approach
to body corporate management

Relationships are the foundation of our business, built on the understanding that every client is unique, not just at a body corporate level, but as individuals.

That’s why we take the time to listen, tailoring our management approach to suit every person, their communication style and business preferences.

Receive an obligation
free proposal

We'll need to get some details about your building. Let us know the best time to contact you.

Australians love to renovate. Whether you’re in a free-standing house, where the possibilities seem endless, or navigating the nuances of living within a body corporate community, the desire to personalise and enhance our homes is there.

This article covers internal renovations to a townhouse or apartment and what you can and can’t do without body corporate approval.

Cosmetic changes and decorating

Generally speaking, when it comes to decorating, cosmetic changes, or updating existing fixtures, fittings, and appliances inside your townhouse or apartment, body corporate approval is not required.

You should however, always read your by-laws before starting any project. The contents and advice in this article are of a general nature only.

These include renovations like:

  • Painting interior walls
  • Updating existing light fixtures without moving the electrical
  • Replacing taps, shower fixtures, or handles
  • Updating existing appliances like a dishwasher, cooktop, oven
  • Replacing a vanity without moving the existing plumbing
  • Updating a splashback or benchtop


While flooring may seem like a low-risk update, in multi-story apartment buildings, one person’s floor is often the next person’s ceiling and changes can have a noise impact on the apartment below. These buildings typically implement flooring by-laws to ensure any changes from carpet to tiles, wood or laminate adhere to specific sound rating standards.

Townhouses or free-standing homes are less likely to have a flooring by-law, but you should still check your own in detail. If there is no flooring or acoustic by-law, interior flooring changes generally do not require approval.

Flooring changes to an external area like a balcony or entrance porch can often be seen by other lots and will often require body corporate approval. 

Kitchens and bathrooms

Revamping kitchens and bathrooms can range from a modest update of handles and fixtures to a transformation of the entire space, including its layout.

If the renovation is simply an update of existing appliances, fixtures, or cabinetry – without changes to the electrical or plumbing configurations, body corporate approval is generally not required.

The body corporate may however regulate the noise levels, notice periods, parking, rubbish removal and other work associated with a renovation, even if the actual renovation does not require specific approval.

If you intend to relocate appliances, electrical, and/or plumbing, body corporate approval is generally required.

Structural changes

Making internal structural changes, like adding or removing a wall, requires body corporate approval.

This type of change usually also requires engineering advice, building approval, and other external consultant advice to satisfy the body corporate that the structure of the building will not be adversely impacted

Related content

Share This Post

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Is BCsystems your current body corporate manager?
You are

More To Explore


Towing cars: New legislation addressing parking violations in a body corporate

The Queensland Government recently introduced new legislation to tackle parking violations more effectively within body corporate schemes. The new law ensures residents have clear and safe access to their homes and the common areas, with the authority to tow a vehicle that obstructs access or poses a safety hazard.

Like this article?

Follow us for more