Updated March, 2021
The policy outlines our commitments in respect of how we manage your Personal Information to enable the provision of business and related services and ensure compliance to the Privacy Act 1988 cth., Australian Privacy Principles (APP), and relevant Body Corporate and consumer laws.
“Personal Information” means any such information procured either directly or via a third person that either directly identifies you or makes your identity apparent.
“Body Corporate” means a body corporate, building management group, community association or other similar entity to which you may be related; for example as a member, lot owner, proprietor, lessee, sub-lessee, service contractor, representative, proxy, power of attorney, nominee, voter, advisor, occupier, tenant, agent.
Collecting personal information
BCsystems collects Personal Information for two principal purposes:
- In acting for and on behalf of the Body Corporate which has engaged our company to collect, manage and administer its records and issue communications on its behalf; and:
- To provide our business and related services to you directly.
BCsystems will generally collect your Personal Information from the Body Corporate or from you directly. On occasions such information may be collected lawfully from a third party or a publicly available source. Unless we receive your consent to do so we will not collect, use, or disclose sensitive information except as required by law or permitted under the provisions of the Australian Privacy Principles (APP). Sensitive information may include reference to your:
- political associations
- religious beliefs or affiliations
- criminal record
Body corporate records
For example, the relevant body corporate legislation may set out:
- What personal information you are required by law to provide to the Body Corporate
- How the Body Corporate may keep, maintain, and destroy your personal information
- For what purposes the Body Corporate may use or disclose your personal information, including:
- Issuing Body Corporate contributions (levies)
- Issuing meeting agendas and minutes
- Issuing correspondence that the Body Corporate may be required to issue, or may decide to issue
- Commencing debt collection action and referral to third parties for that purpose
- Making your personal information available to other lot owners in the Body Corporate, records inspectors, prospective purchasers, service contractors and other occupiers of the Body Corporate property.
Using your Personal Information
BCsystems will use your Personal Information for any purpose for which it was collected, and otherwise as required or authorised by law. This may include disclosing such information to other organisations which provide relevant services to the Body Corporate such as maintenance contractors, consultants, record management providers, debt recovery services etc.
There are many aspects of our web site which can be viewed without providing personal information, however, for access to BCsystems customer support features you will be required to submit Personal Information. This may include, but is not limited to, a unique username and password or Personal Information in the recovery of a lost password.
For each visitor to reach the site we collect non-personally identifiable information including things such as your browser specifics, operating system, pages viewed, page access times and referring website address. This collected information is used for the purpose of improving web site performance and customer experience.
BCsystems ensures your data is safely secured and only accessible to authorised persons for the purposes of conducting their specific business activities. All information is backed-up to prevent from loss and will be destroyed or de-identified when no longer required by law or for the purposes intended.
We cannot guarantee the security of all information transmitted to us over the internet but will take all reasonable steps to ensure its security once received.
Under law you may request access to your Personal Information by contacting us and advising of your specific requirements and the reasons you require access. We will endeavour to get this information to you as soon as practical, noting some information may require search retrieval and collation. A fee may be payable to reimburse costs which will be estimated and advised pending the nature of the request.
There may be circumstances where we cannot provide you with access to your Personal Information. Examples under the Privacy Act 1988 cth. include circumstances where it:
- will pose an unreasonable impact on the privacy of another individual
- would pose a threat to the life, health, or safety of an individual or to public health or public safety
- may prejudice an investigation or relate to an existing or anticipated legal proceeding with you
- is regarded as frivolous or vexatious
- is unlawful
- is likely to prejudice enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of a law enforcement body
- is likely to prejudice action being taken or to be taken with respect to suspected unlawful activity or serious misconduct
- would reveal information in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process
Please contact BCsystems on the details below should you wish to:
- complain about a perceived breach of Australian Privacy Principles
- request to access your Personal Information
- opt out of communications
- have any queries in regards this policy or how we collect, use, or manage your Personal Information
The Privacy Officer
PO Box 743, Morningside, Qld 4170
Telephone: 07 3899 0299